Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Online services, for some

I received a driver's licence renewal notice this week from the Quebec Société de d'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ)--the province's DMV.

Included with the invoice was an flyer titled "Quick'n easy!" that included a photo of a woman pointing to the "Q" in "SAAQ", which was shaped like a power icon. I've conveniently included a photo with this post.

I question the appropriateness of the phrase "Quick'n easy!" when juxtaposed with an attractive, young woman who is literally turning herself on.

But let's assume I am over-analyzing this ad. Maybe my government agency wants to get my attention so that I will pay my bill via electric money transfer rather than by cheque or at one of their government offices. The problem is that one can only pay an SAAQ bill with the Caisse Desjardins (credit union) or the National Bank of Canada. If one banks with RBC, BMO, TD, CIBC, ScotiaBank you are out of luck.

If Quebec is going to trouble of producing a colour flyer with a quick'n easy, attractive woman turning herself on, why not also expand the number of banks with whom they interact?

My advice to the SAAQ is as follows: don't publicize your limited online services too much unless you give your customers the ability to pay using any of the chartered banks. And, while you're at it, let me get my bill via ePost.

2 comments:

Gopal said...

I agree. I would categorize the quick-n-easy option as totally misleading and simply a promotion for the 2 banks listed with public money. Why not include the major banks if there is an option?

Chris said...

And it is not as if the Quebec government works exclusively with those banks. Other agencies like Revenu Quebec are all too glad to take your money from any Canadian bank.

I have often wondered why the SAAQ is limited to only those two banks. There is no good reason for it... except that those banks are based in Quebec and it is nationalism.

Share it