Saturday, October 25, 2008

Becel Buttery Taste margarine

Last week it was reported that Quebec milk farmers were going with pitchforks and torches to Quebec City to complain about the margarine industry.

This time, their complaint was the new Becel Buttery Taste margarine. They don't like the name.

This being Quebec where the government over-regulates stuff (be it free expression or the colour of margarine), I considered it my civic duty to support the product by buying it and comparing it to regular Becel margarine and posting the results here.

I conducted my test today at breakfast. I toasted whole wheat English muffins and applied regular Becel (the one in the blue container) to one and the new Becel Buttery Taste margarine to the other. I also sampled a bit of both from the end of my butter knife.

Sadly, I didn't notice any buttery flavour from the new Becel Buttery Taste margarine. In fact, it tasted pretty much the same as the regular margarine. I compared the nutritional information and learned that the new margarine has twice the calories and fat as the blue Becel.

I was really hoping that this product would be awesome. But it wasn't any different than my regular Becel margarine. Unlike I Can't Believe It's Not Butter--which has a taste that is very close to real butter--the new Becel product does not.

But the new Becel margarine is yellow, which makes me feel like I'm in America (or Ontario). And that's a nice feeling to have when you live in a province where the government spends tens of thousands of dollars on full-page newspaper ads, radio ads and television ads to suggest that residents start every public interaction with "bonjour" and not (the horror!) "hello."

Banning margarine colours, banning words and wasteful spending. That's what I call good government.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been using Becel for years. Actually, the new "buttery" Becel does taste lighter but it is only available as regular Becel. The blue container you refer to is the low fat version. It has a bit of an aftertaste to it. However, it is skinnier in calories. The new Becel has the same amount of calories as the original.

Anonymous said...

Yeah ,Yeah, but,BELIEVE IT OR NOT, "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT"S NOT BUTTER" IS BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER INCLUDING SOME ,BUT NOT ALL ,BUTTER !

siva said...

Wow.This is unbelievable.
--------
siva

prince edward island drug rehab

Raccoon said...

It's freaking margarine! God, relax !
If you don't like it leave it!

Share it