Monday, April 03, 2006

Scanner and camera wizard: solved folder naming mystery

I discovered the solution to weird behavior in the Microsoft XP Scanner and camera wizard. I found a handful of references to it on the Web and Usenet. But no solutions. After some trial and error, I figured out how to restore useful functionality to the wizard.

The weird behavior
Text entered in the Type a name for this group of pictures text box does not automatically change or create the a folder of the same name in the Choose a place to save this group of pictures text box.

For instance, in the dialog box below, notice how entering Birthday Party in the first text box doesn't automatically create a folder path in the second box. This is the weird behavior. (Although for many, this might be the only behavior they have ever witnessed.)

Microsoft XP scanner and camera wizard

The solution
The missing functionality can be restored in two easy steps.

Step 1: Enter the name of the group of pictures in the first text box.

Step 2: Select the drop-down menu in the second text box and locate the path to the new folder. It will be there. You may have to scroll up. In the example below, notice how the path My Pictures\Birthday Party is in the list.

Microsoft XP scanner and camera wizardThat's it. Once you select the item, you can change the text in the first box and it will change the text in the second box automatically. Problem solved.

And the best news is that the weird behavior will not appear the next time you use the Scanner and camera wizard. See example below.

Microsoft XP scanner and camera wizard

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boss here at work messed this up and I had to make folders and select them. I looked all over for the solution and couldn't find it. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for posting this. I thought it had once worked as it should and then stopped for no reason, but in the end I figured I was just losing my mind, until I found this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I may be two years later, but this is finially working! Thanks for taking the time to help and host.

Enrique said...

Thank you very much! My wife was asking me about this and I had no idea how to fix it. It was really bothering me. I wonder what causes it in the first place.

Anonymous said...

MANY THANKS!
I was doing sort of the same thing as you, but not quite. But with confirming that it would work, I got it! Thanks a lot and please leave this blog entry up, as it is the only solution I found!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Thanks for that. You'd think Microsoft could have made it a bit clearer on whether it was creating a folder or not.

There was an error in this gadget