Monday, March 06, 2006

Am I the only one who thought Crash was terrible?

I often see these awful public service announcements (PSAs) on television produced by high school students. You know the ones. Bad video. Bad sound. Monotone acting.

When I watched Crash (2004) a few months, I thought I was watching one of those high school PSAs. Some of the acting was very good. But much of it sucked. Or maybe it wasn't the acting that was bad, but the ridiculous things the actors were forced to say.

Like a high school production, the script was overdone. Sure everyone's a little bit racist. In real life, race is not on everyone's mind 24/7. But in Crash, race was all anyone talked about. Unrealistic and dumb.

So when Billy Bush told me a few weeks ago that Crash was nominated for Best Picture, I was stunned. When I heard Nicholson announce it last night as the winner, I though Jack had played a trick on everyone. No, by the rood, not so. It's true.

I decided to review the last 20 years of Best Picture nominees to determine what percent of the time I agreed with the Best Picture decision. Here's the result:
  • Agree: 7
  • Disagree: 7
  • Not sure/didn't see: 6
I should point out that some of my disagreements are minor. For instance, I enjoyed Driving Miss Daisy, the 1989 winner for Best Picture. However, I liked Dead Poets Society more. So, that's a minor disagreement. Same with 1999 winner American Beauty. Fine film, but I though Cider House Rules was better.

But this Crash business is different. It shouldn't have been on the same list as the other films.

UPDATE: I wasn't the only one who hated it. Read this excellent blurb about Crash's suckiness:
For those who haven’t seen it, or for those who have seen it and are simply a little slow, Crash is a cheesy, ham-fisted melodrama that makes Peter Jackson look like Wim Wenders. It’s bloated, predictable, filled with flat characters, and unpleasant to watch. It’s a tale about racism that never stops reminding you in bright colors and monosyllabic words and arbitrary plot points that you are watching a movie about racism, and it’s your duty to be moved by the film. If not, you don’t understand it. It’s a movie for people who don’t understand enough about movies to pick a good one from a fake one; it’s the cinematic equivalent of Ayn Rand, a film for posers and wannabes and that guy in your philosophy class who thinks he’s on the ball but pronounces the first “s” in “Descartes.”

3 comments:

Jean-Marc said...

I can't say I agree or disagree, although I am surprised by the choice, but here is link that I think says it for all of us http://www.voir.ca/martineau/default.aspx?a=2006&m=3#1107
(in french) . Keep it up.

Freefry30 said...

What is Billy Bush?

Anonymous said...

That's what she said last night! HEY NOW!

There was an error in this gadget