Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hazard lights mean "go around", moron

I'm a pretty good driver, I think. Very defensive. I always signal before turning at an intersection to give cars behind me time to slow down or change lanes. I also use hazard lights (aka flickers or flashers) when I'm slowing down to parallel park. This is my way of saying, "Hey, dude. Better go around me. Have a nice day."

During the last few months, several drivers have honked (at night!) as I was slowing down to grab a parking spot. The best was the older lady who honked and drove past me with a pained and angry look on her face. It could have been gas. But I think it was mostly chronic stupidity.

It's true that I graduated from Morty's driving school on D├ęcarie. It's true that Morty was a pro with the white board and toy car. It's true Uli was a pleasure to drive with.

Yet I'm pretty sure the meaning of those flashy thingies at the back of the car was taught right across Quebec.

Why so many dumb ones?

6 comments:

Riskczar said...

Ha ha ha. That's funny. It says fart.

Freefry30 said...

Wouldn't it be correct to merely signal your intent to parallel park while slowing down? Were you taught to use your hazard lights?

How about people pulling out of their spots without signalling, or better yet, looking to see if there are any cars coming, and then acting peevish like it's your fault your car was in the way of them getting out of their spot in the most reckless manner possible?

David

Jean-Marc said...

LOL! I know what it's like to feel like some drivers have the IQ of lint! I like your observations on grid-lock as well.You may want to make us all happy, and have a special mention for those morons who double-park NEXT TO an open parking space (often large enough for a semi). Just a thougt, though.
Keep it up.

Freefry30 said...

Wouldn't it be correct to merely signal your intent to parallel park while slowing down? Were you taught to use your hazard lights?

How about people pulling out of their spots without signalling, or better yet, looking to see if there are any cars coming, and then acting peevish like it's your fault your car was in the way of them getting out of their spot in the most reckless manner possible?

David

crammer said...

why hazard lights? to me, that just means you want to double-park so please-officer-dont-give-me-a-ticket-i'll-only-be-here-a-minute-i-promise-even-if-i'm-a -jerk.
Why don't you just use your turn signal to call dibs on that parking spot?

Darryl said...

Using a turn signal before parallel parking can be misleading if you are slowing down near an intersection or driveway.

There is no ambiguity about the hazard lights. It indicates to others that I'm going to stop soon, or at least go so slowly that you're going to be really pissed off if you insist on driving behind me.

Once I'm stopped, I'll use the right signal as I'm backing into the parallel parking spot.

Hazard lights are also very useful if you need to slow down abruptly on the highway and you want to warn the driver behind you that something exceptional is about to happen and he best decelerate too.

Simply seeing a brake light in front of you doesn't really indicate how quickly the car is decelerating. Hazard lights make an impression. In fact, I believe some cars have a system whereby the hazard lights are activated if you brake quickly.

There was an error in this gadget