Sunday, January 01, 2006

Dorval train station

Every few years, I have to pick someone up from the Dorval train station, in western Montreal. And every few years, I get lost in the attempt.

I'm an educated guy, but I'm convinced that if we dug Einstein up, dusted him off, and asked him to find Dorval train station, he would fail. Why? There is an inter-city train station and a commuter train station in Dorval with the same name.

As always, I followed the prominent green signs with a pictogram of a train at a train platform and the words DORVAL underneath. I drove from Sources Rd., so following these signs took me on a circuitous route. But I stayed the course and made it. To the commuter train station.

With only minutes to find the other Dorval train the station, I sped through bad streets and bumpy roads. I backtracked several times. Finally, someone noticed the green highway sign that said VIA (which is the name of the train company that uses the Dorval train station).

Following this elusive VIA sign got us to the correct station -- but only after an intricate series of maneuvers around the Dorval circle.

I have bitter contempt for the city and/or provincial officials who created this confusing mess and have allowed it to fester. We need clearer signage to indicate which is the commuter train station and which is the inter-city train station.

I fully expect this confusing mess to be resolved sometime after never.

Oh, and happy new year.

3 comments:

Freefry30 said...

Darryl,

Use Highway 20 next time. It's easier because it takes you right there off the exit.

David

Freefry30 said...

Darryl,

Use Highway 20 next time. It's easier because it takes you right to the VIA station off the exit ramp.

David

Freefry30 said...

Darryl,

Use Highway 20 next time. It's easier because it takes you right to the VIA station off the exit ramp.

David

There was an error in this gadget