Thursday, October 27, 2005

Thursday, October 27, 1995

Ten years ago today, at around noon, I walked from my class at McGill University to Place du Canada, near Peel St. and René Levesque Blvd. in downtown Montreal. A big 'No' rally was planned in the days leading to the 1995 referendum. In a few days, Quebec voters would decide whether the province should secede from Canada and become an independent country.

About 100,000 people were at the federalist rally. I spent most of the next hour taking pictures, walking around and listening to the speeches, which were hard to hear because of extremely strong wind. (Insert fart joke here.)

Today is the tenth anniversary of that Place du Canada rally. I'm always a bit surprised by anniversaries of events that happened in my adult life and which I remember quite clearly. Anyway, here are my photos from that day.









1 comment:

JonasParker said...

I was also there. I remember the day fondly, and I wondered, "How in the world could this referendum win?"

There was an error in this gadget